Important Points in Self-Managing House Renovation
Every now and then, we all need to experience things to understand things. We'll never know until we try it. Even after my 6 years experiences in this line I still face the same problem over and over again. What will happen on site during renovation is really unpredictable. Sometimes it goes as messy as you don't expect to. And sometimes it suprisingly goes as smooth as you ever dream for.
First thing we need to remember is that, there'll always be 3 point of view that will hit into each other : designer's point of view, sub-con's point of view and owner's point of view.
All of them have their own state of mind that we all can't ever judge whether it's wrong or right. And trust me, to fight their thought is never solve a problem, it will only cause you even more problems. As a designer, try not to side to one party, just be neutral and come up with the best solution for everyone.
But here are basic things that we need to know in self-manage a house renovation :
- Some home owner will considering a renovation insurance. This is indeed important to make you feel more secure.
- Always ask the hacking subcon to provide and put protection for house part that not need to touch (flooring,cabinets,doors,furnitures)
- Put away all ur furnitures in one corner that people won't pass through during the reno.
- Make sure u already plan for all the lighting&electrical points, so once it sealed underneath the false ceiling, you won't have any problem re-positioning the points.
- Avoid plastering/painting/masonry works together with plumbing works,because plumbing works need to off the water supply, while plastering/painting/masonry works need water.
- Avoid aircon works together with electrical works, because elecrtical works need to off the electricity, while aircon works need power to test the aircon set.
- Make sure you only use the same size of tiles selection. Knowing there are many sizes of tiles (300x600, 280x580, ect) same sizes will shortening the schedule for tile layer. And make sure to order extra 25% of total tiles needed, rather than we order just nice amount and then need to order again. We might end up wasting our time and money for extra delivery charge.
- Wait for few days to see the deffect that comes up on all the works, because some deffects can only shown up after few days.
- Expect for extra cost that will follow by the ceiling works : wiring&lightings point installation and paintings.
- Expect for extra cost that will follow by the windows installation : paintings.
- If you don't intend to conceal the aircon piping (which is really unadvisable), put the aircon works only at the last part of ur reno. Just don't forget to ask the aircon guys advise on the wastage pipe. And then tell your tiling subcon to cater the hole to run this pipe.
- Only do wallpaper at the very last part of ur reno,when everything is done.
- When you do re-tiling the whole bathroom's floor&wall, pay extra attention on the quality and also technic on the waterproofing and the leveling. Because these two are very important.
- Always ask the painting subcon to get ready to come few days after, to touch up some part that might affected by the other works.
- Shower screen is a very sensitive works, so make sure they do their part only when every tiling stuffs are done.
So far these are few things that I did take note after few years doing renovation for my home owner. Will keep updating the points whenever I have something come accross.
Good luck with your renovation :-)